Short bioEducationAchievements and AwardsResearch interestsPublicationsProjectsProfessional experience
George is a postdoctoral fellow at Educational Technology of the Open University of Cyprus. He is also a Senior Agricultural Research Officer at the Agricultural Research Institute. He holds a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science degree in Computer Science, both from the Western Michigan University, USA. His research interests include, ICT in agriculture, robotics in agriculture, information transfer and knowledge sharing, Human-Computer Interaction and Human-Robot Interaction. In his doctoral thesis, George investigated the aspects and factors of the user interface that may affect its usability and the human-robot interaction awareness, especially for teleoperated mobile robots used for agricultural tasks.
- B.Sc. – Computer Science, Western Michigan University, USA, 1997
- M.Sc. – Computer Science, Western Michigan University, USA, 1999
- Ph.D. – Information and Communication Systems, Open University of Cyprus, 2016
- Certificate of Appreciation. Western Michigan University, University Computing Services, August 1995 – August 1997
- Graduate Award. Western Michigan University, Computer Science Department, 1999
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Usability evaluation and user experience
- ICT in agriculture
- Robotics in agriculture
- Information transfer and knowledge sharing
- Adamides, George, Ron Berenstein, Idan Ben-Halevi, Thanasis Hadzilacos, and Yael Edan. 2012. “User Interface Design Principles for Robotics in Agriculture: The Case of Telerobotic Navigation and Target Selection for Spraying.” In 8th Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, AFITA. Taipei, Taiwan, September 3-6.
- Adamides, George, and Andreas Stylianou. 2013. “ICT and Mobile Phone Use for Agricultural Knowledge Sharing by Cypriot Farmers.” AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics 5(2):3-9.
- Adamides, George, Christos Katsanos, George Christou, Michalis Xenos, Nectarios Kostaras, and Thanasis Hadzilacos. 2013. “Human-Robot Interaction in Agriculture: Usability Evaluation of three Input Devices for Spraying Grape Clusters.” In EFITA-WCCA-CIGR Conference on Sustainable Agriculture through ICT Innovation. Turin, Italy, June 23-27.
- Adamides, George, Andreas Stylianou, Petros Kosma, and Konstantinos Apostolopoulos. 2013. “Factors Affecting PC and Internet Usage by the Rural Population of Cyprus Agricultural Economics Review.” In Agricultural Economics Review 14(1).
- Adamides, George, Christos Katsanos, George Christou, Michalis Xenos, George Papadavid, and Thanasis Hadzilacos. 2014. “User Interface Considerations for Telerobotics: The Case of an Agricultural Robot Sprayer.” In 2nd International Conference on Remote Sensing and Geoinformation of the Environment, RSCy2014, 92291W-1. Pafos, Cyprus, April 7-10.
- Adamides, George, George Christou, Christos Katsanos, Michalis Xenos, and Thanasis Hadzilacos. 2015. “Usability Guidelines for the Design of Robot Teleoperation: A Taxonomy.” IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems 45(2):256-262. doi:10.1109/THMS.2014.2371048.
- Adamides, George, Christos Katsanos, Michalis Xenos, Thanasis Hadzilacos, and Yael Edan. 2016. “Heuristic usability evaluation of user interfaces for a semi-autonomous vineyard robot sprayer.” In Proceedings of the 5th Israeli Conference on Robotics. Herzliya, Israel, April 13-14.
- Analysis of the mountain areas in EU members, acceding and other European countries (Nordregio, 2001-02). Researcher.
- Demonstration of an Online Multilingual Biological Agriculture eServices System for Organic Farmers, Traders, Institutions and Citizens (eContent:BIO@GRO). Researcher.
- Regional Action Programme Conservation and Management of Natural and Renewable Resources (EC/AIDCO/CIHEAM, 2002-03). Researcher.
- Coordination of Agricultural Research in the Mediterranean (ARIMNET, FP 7, 2008-13). Researcher.
- Facing sustainability: New relationships between rural areas and agriculture in Europe (RURAGRI, FP 7, CA 235175, 2009-13). Researcher.
- The supportive role of robotic technology for sustainable agriculture (AgriRobot, 2010-13). Researcher.
- Virtual Open Access Agriculture and Aquaculture Repository (VOA3R, ICT PSP, 2010-13). Researcher.
- Improving skills for Smartfarming as an innovative tool for rural development and economic growth (SmartFarmer, Lifelong Learning Programme, 2013-15). Coordinator.
- Semi-Autonomous Vineyard Spraying Agricultural Robot (SAVSAR, 2014-15). Researcher.
- 2001 – present. Agricultural Research Institute – Senior Agricultural Research Officer
- 2001 – present. Senior Researcher in various research projects – Open University of Cyprus, Agricultural Research Institute
- 2008 – 2016. Doctoral researcher at Open University of Cyprus – Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences
- 2008 – 2016. Research fellow at Educational Technology Lab – Open University of Cyprus
- 2016 – present. Postdoctoral fellow at Educational Technology Lab – Open University of Cyprus